Today I joined a Pilates class for 2 reasons (1.) To help strengthen my shoulder without putting too much pressure on it, injury lols, and (2.) For a relaxing start to my day. And let me tell you, on first impressions, it did not disappoint and I cannot wait for my next class. 😊
Not only will Pilates help with my shoulder it’s a great workout for toning up all those areas we all love to give out about.
Pilates is similar to yoga but focuses more on lengthening and strengthening major muscle groups. Benefits include:
- improved flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone, particularly of your abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body)
- balanced muscular strength on both sides of your body
- enhanced muscular control of your back and limbs
- improved stabilisation of your spine
- improved posture
- rehabilitation or prevention of injuries related to muscle imbalances
- improved physical coordination and balance
- relaxation of your shoulders, neck and upper back
- safe rehabilitation of joint and spinal injuries
- prevention of musculoskeletal injuries
- increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- improved concentration
- increased body awareness
- stress management and relaxation.
I was so relaxed after my class. Of course there was a bit of struggle thrown in for good measure but it wouldn’t be a workout if it didn’t hurt even a little bit. I must say though, as a beginner, it is relatively easy and for anyone who dislikes exercise, I feel this provides a happy medium. You hardly even break a sweat 👍😂
The basis of Pilates requires you to focus on breathing techniques and abdominal muscle control. So practice will only make it more beneficial.
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, I’d most definitely recommend giving it a go. Even if its just for the breathing techniques to slow down the mind. Classes are widely available so check out your local gym or community centre to see if there’s one near you 😊